By Ben Williams 28/10/2016
Having a Halloween party? Whether it’s an adult party or a kid’s party, everyone loves cupcakes! I always find that when I look online for a cool recipe to use for a party or gathering, that the finished product looks nothing like the picture online.
If you’re like me and you always try to make some elaborate skeleton cookie or cake and it turns out looking like a toddler made them, take a look at this filled brain cake recipe, they are really simple to decorate and make a fantastic Halloween themed treat.
- 181g All Plain Flour
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp of Salt201g Sugar
- 57g Butter at Room Temperature
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 and ½ Tsp of Vanilla Extract
- ½ Tsp of Pink Food Colouring
- 130mls Greek Yoghurt
- 100ml Milk
- 10 tbsp of Strawberry Jam
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C and put 12 muffin cases in your muffin tin.
- In your mixing bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda together.
- In a separate bowl mix the butter and the sugar until mixed well, then add the egg, vanilla extract and food colouring and mix well. Next add the milk and yoghurt and mix.
- Once your wet ingredients are mixed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet while mixing until you have a nice smooth pink batter.
- Using a spoon place some batter in each muffin case and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until you can insert a toothpick and have it come out clean.
- Take them out of the oven and put them on the side to cool.
While your cakes are cooling, make the icing using the ingredients below
- 113g Butter
- 227g Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Tsp Pink Food Colouring
- 480g Icing Sugar
In a mixing bowl, mix together the butter and cream cheese until mixed will, then slowly add the milk, vanilla extract and food colouring until mixed well. Try to match the colour to the colour of your cupcakes. Next slowly mix in the icing sugar until you have a smooth icing.
Making your Brains:
Once your cakes are cooled, cut out small cones from the top of them and remove them from the cupcake. Trim off the bottom of the cone to leave a small hollow opening in your cupcakes.
Add your strawberry jam to the middle of your cupcakes and put your trimmed cone back on to complete the cake.
Next add your icing to a piping back or sandwich bag with the corner cut off.
To create your brain shape, make a circle of icing around the outside of the cupcake and draw a line through the middle. Then pipe a snake like squiggly line down each half of your circle to give your brain effect, and there you having it, gooey brains that taste delicious!
For extra gore effect drip some of our fake blood on and around your brain cupcakes.