By Ben Williams 16/07/2020
Before we start, it's probably worth mentioning we're talking about water butts or rainwater tanks as some people call them. Sorry to disappoint!
But what exactly is a water butt?
Well.....A water butt is simply a large container that is designed to safely capture and store rainwater.
They are very simple and extremely effective. In fact, they are so easy to use, it's surprising that they aren't a standard item in most suitable households. Especially with all the benefits they can bring which we'll get to a bit later.
So How Does a Water Butt Work?
Before we can reap the rewards of our water butt, we need to install it. Thankfully this is very easy to do and should take no more than 10 minutes. All of our water butts come with installation instructions included so just follow these and you can't go wrong.
Once installed we just need to wait for the rain!
As we mentioned earlier, a water butt works by collecting rainwater that falls onto your rooftop. When it hits your roof, the rainwater travels along your guttering and down through your downpipes (drainpipes), where it is then diverted, via a rain diverter into your water butt. Its that simple.
There's no need to worry about your water butt overflowing either. If the rain is still falling once your water butt is full, the surplus water will be diverted back down your downpipe.
All of our water butts come with a fitted tap as standard so depending on the size of the job, you can either fill a watering can or attach a hosepipe and you're ready to go.
Benefits of a Water Butt
There are many benefits that come from owning a water butt. Here are just a few reasons why you should consider getting one for your home;
- Helps Plants Flourish: Unlike tap water, rainwater is packed full of wholesome nutrients that help your plants thrive. The nutrients in rainwater also reduce the need for fertiliser.
- Simple Set-Up: We keep saying it! Water butts are so simple to install they can be ready to start collecting rainwater in a matter of minutes. All you need to do is follow our instructions with a few basic tools.
- Money Saver: A water butt can help you make savings on your water bills, especially in those hot summer months and also if your home uses a water meter which charges you for the amount of water you use.
- Readily Available Supply: A water butt ensures you have a supply of water readily available, even when the occasional hosepipe ban is in place due to summer drought. It may also come in handy if your water supply is ever cut off due to waterworks.
- Reduces Carbon Footprint: The energy costs associated with treating and pumping water directly to your home are huge, so any water savings are automatically carbon savings too!
If you like everything that you've read, then we've got the butt for you!
All of our water butts can be found HERE and are available to order online from a single unit upwards.
And if you need any further information just get in touch via LiveChat or email and one of our team will be happy to help.