By Ben Williams 28/10/2016
Frightfully Realistic Fake Blood
With Halloween approaching faster than you can say pumpkin pie, it’s time to start thinking about that all important costume design. Are you going to be scary, creepy, someone famous, a sexy cat or if you’re like me, go way over the top with movie style prosthetics and frighten the life out of your partner when you come out of the bathroom.
One thing that always plays a part in my Halloween night is fake blood. I like to go with the scary costumes and as a result there is usually a bit of gore. There are lots of different types of fake bloods out there that you can buy, but personally I have never trusted them, especially when you need to put it in your mouth for the finishing touches of a great vampire or zombie outfit.
There is a fantastic recipe for fake blood that you can make at home very easily. It only has 4 ingredients and its safe for children and even edible to use on spooky cakes or as a cocktail decoration.
This recipe guarantees a genuine looking fake blood, some people think they need a bright red substance but real blood is not all red, especially when it dries. Take a look at the recipe below and try it out at home.
454g of Icing Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Cocoa Powder (in old black and white films like Alfred Hitchcock’s “Psycho” they used melted chocolate as blood.
28ml of Red Food Colouring
Oipps Plastic Bottle with Spout Cap
1. Add the Icing sugar to a bowl or a blender if you have one.
2. Pour in the water while mixing or through the hole in the blender lid.
3. Make sure the icing sugar and water is mixed well.
4. Add the red food colouring and mix.
5. Add the cocoa powder and mix well.
6. Decant your fake blood into one of our Oipps plastic bottles.
7. Apply it to the area you are decorating, spray it on your costume or drip it over spooky Halloween cakes!